OCCULUM’s content is published on a sporadic (mostly daily) basis, archived by season. Submissions are accepted year-round.
- All submissions must be previously unpublished work, although exceptions can be readily made
- Poems of any length are accepted
- Prose must be 5,000 words or less
- Please include a short third person bio, your Twitter handle and blog links as well in your email
- All written work should be attached as a .pdf file or Word doc
- When submitting, feel free to be creative with your subject lines. For example, one may choose to write: “URGENT: SURREALIST POETRY ATTACHED TO CURE HUMAN INDIFFERENCE”, or “DO NOT OPEN IF SENSITIVE TO FLAMMABLE MATERIAL.” Go for it, friend.
- Pages do not have to be numbered
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted
- You – the writer, the wielder, the omniscient, will have full creative rights to your work
*OCCULUM especially seeks neurodiverse writers and/or writers who often feel ostracized by the mainstream
*Submission response time can range from 1 day to two weeks, depending on the editor’s time and inbox volume. Please feel free to send a follow-up/inquiry email concerning the status of your work or if it has been accepted elsewhere. Negative replies to rejections are discouraged.
*The journal encourages frequent contributors, but if your work was previously accepted for OCCULUM, please wait three months before submitting again