Starting November 1st, 2017, OCCULUM will release Issue I (One). Issues will launch on the first of each month at midnight, US Eastern time.
Leading up to the inaugural Issue I, content is published on a sporadic, daily-ish basis.
Submissions are accepted year-round. Those that are read after the current issue will be considered for future publication. Acceptances and/or rejections can range from 1 day to two weeks, depending on the editor’s time and inbox volume. Please feel free to send a follow-up/inquiry email concerning the status of your work or if it has been accepted elsewhere. Negative replies to rejections are discouraged.
- All submissions must be previously unpublished work, although exceptions can be readily made.
- Poems of any length are accepted (those that rhyme usually aren’t accepted, but are welcome for consideration).
- Prose must be 5,000 words or less.
- Please include a short third person bio, your Twitter handle and blog links as well in your email.
- All written work should be attached as a .doc or .docx.
- When submitting, feel free to be creative with your subject lines. For example, one may choose to write: “URGENT: SURREALIST POETRY ATTACHED TO CURE HUMAN INDIFFERENCE”, or “DO NOT OPEN IF SENSITIVE TO FLAMMABLE MATERIAL.” Go for it, friend.
- Pages do not have to be numbered.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted.
- You – the writer, the wielder, the omniscient, will have full creative rights to your work.
*OCCULUM especially seeks neurodiverse writers and/or writers who often feel ostracized by the mainstream.
*The journal encourages frequent contributors, but if your work was previously accepted for OCCULUM, please wait three months before submitting again.
→ Please submit all material to Arielle at email@example.com ←